Sundays at 8.00am (Holy Communion (trad)), 11:00am Holy Communion (1st, 3rd and 5th Sundays of the month) Family Service (2nd Sunday) , Mattins (trad) (4th Sunday) and 4.00pm (Evening Prayer (trad)) on the 1st Sunday of each month.
Wednesdays at 10.30am (Holy Communion)
ATTENTION – Our churches are now reopening for regular public worship with an 11am service at Gulval only ( from Sunday July 12th) until August 16th when our 8.00am Communion and Wednesday 10.30am Communion will resume. Social distancing will apply. Social events are being curtailed for the time being (see Events page). See full details of how worship will operate, following a risk assessment , at the bottom of this page
**Our church newsletter for the three churches has extra material in it at the moment, such as Bible readings and short sermon
** Every Sunday a service is being produced on video. You can find this on YouTube or by going to the Media drop down menu on this site, under videos. These will continue.
** You can also dial 279019 (local code) for Sunday’s service, sermon, prayers and a hymn – any time. The service material is changed for each Sunday.
We also have a new FACEBOOK page for Madron, Heamoor and Gulval churches
Family Service at 11am on the second Sunday of the month, plus particularly child-friendly occasions to be found on the relevant web page (see Services)
Our next child-friendly services will be our Sea Sunday, July 8th at 11am, and then our Songs of Praise on August 13th.
Our safe=guarding officer is Christina de Vries
Opening Times: Gulval Church is open from 10:00am to 12:00pm on Saturdays only during winter months. From July to September it is open on Monday afternoon from 2.30 – 4.30pm, and on Wednesday & Thursday afternoons from 2:00pm to 4:00pm. We serve tea and cake on Mondays from 2:30pm to 4:30pm from July to September (now finished). CURRENTLY we are not open for visitors but hope to soon.
Parking. Free parking is available at all points around the upper churchyard. It gets busy at the top outside the Coldstreamer. The best place is probably at the bottom of the steps, coming along Possess Lane from Jelbert Way. There is level access from the east gate, but there are a couple of steps to negotiate first. There is step-free access via the top gate (opposite the Coldstreamer) and there are usually spaces hard by the churchyard wall. There is no church car park as such,
Social events and special services for 2020 have been added.
Building and other projects (2020) We are trying to replenish our reserves after forking out for tarmacced paths, a new toilet, emergency repairs to wall memorials and ongoing tree trimming (the churchyard is not closed, so we have all the bills for maintenance) . Our lighting is being gradually improved
A limited restart of services (Following risk assessment)
- I fully expect that a high proportion of people will not feel happy or ready to return to church yet. Please don’t feel under any pressure to return before when it is right for you. If you come against medical advice, that is at your own risk. I shall continue for several weeks at least to prepare videos and pieces for the phone line, to cater for those still staying safely at home. The church services will complement not replicate what is on paper and video.
So how will it work ? Until further notice and a full restart:
- Initially just 9.30am at Heamoor, 11.0am at Madron and 11am Gulval and 6pm (BCP) at Madron from the 12th Midweeks from August 16th and 8ams too.
- A staff of Tim, Howard, Helen and Jo (and later, Peter) will lead these services.
- There might be no bell ringers (only a socially distanced number ringing for 15mins) or choir or organist – though if present and willing an organist could play hymn tunes or other music as long as we only say hymn words
- There will be no formal sidesmens rota, but a single volunteer would be good; otherwise Helen and I will open up and close up. It is not expected that church officers will be present any more than anyone else.
- Services will take place in zones – 11am in the main body of the church ONLY and 6pm in the choir stalls. (8ams in side chapel from August 16th at Madron and choir stalls at Gulval)
- Sit at 2metres from the next worshipper, unless you live together
- Both doors will be open for ventilation – unless it is really cold or wet – no touching of door handles
- You are encouraged to bring your own Bibles and prayer books. The only materials available will be hymn words, newsletters and service sheets from Tim (not necessarily the same as those sent by email or on the videos) – they are to be taken away and can be picked up carefully on entry
- Hand sanitiser will be on the table at the back. Do not touch anything unnecessarily
- Communion by wafer only. A one way system to receive will be in place. No queues
- Lesson readers can volunteer when they get there – no rota yet and again, no pressure.
- No collection passed around , a plate at the back to be brought up during the service.
- No passing the peace or other physical contact between those present
- The toilets will not be available ( CofE guidelines are to keep toilets open, but the cleaning and other instructions are so involved, it’s best to leave it for now).
- For track and trace purposes attenders names (& contact details) will be recorded
Rev Tim Hawkins