Service Times: Sundays at 8.00am Holy Communion (trad), 11:00am Family Service (1st Sunday of the month), Holy Communion (2nd, 3rd and 4th Sundays) and Mattins (trad) (5th Sunday) and 6.00pm Evening Prayer (trad).
ATTENTION – Our churches are now reopening for regular public worship , starting with our 11am service from Sunday 5th July and our 6pm Evensong the week after. The 8am Communion will resume on August 16th. Social distancing will apply. Social events are being curtailed for the time being (see Events page) apart from a reduced fete on Saturday 20th June from 10-12pm at the north gate of Madron Churchyard. If you email me, I can supply you with a short sermon and news sheet each week while we are closed.
A guide to how our services will operate until further notice, following a risk assessment, can be found at the foot of this page.
**Our church newsletter for the three churches has extra material in it at the moment, such as Bible readings and short sermon
** Every Sunday a service is being produced on video. You can find this on YouTube or by going to the Media drop down menu on this site, under videos. This will continue
** You can also dial 279019 (local code) for Sunday’s service, sermon, prayers and a hymn – any time. The service material is changed for each Sunday.
We also have a new FACEBOOK page for Madron, Heamoor and Gulval churches
Family Service at 11am on the first Sunday of the month, plus particularly child-friendly occasions to be found on the relevant web page (see Services). We have an area on the north side with soft toys, colouring books and other books
Our safe-guarding officer is Ann Jenkin (see phone number on Homepage)
Opening Times: Madron Church is usually open in winter months on Friday mornings between 10:30am and 12:00pm and Saturday mornings between 10:00am and 12:00pm. From July to September we are also open on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons between 2:00pm and 4:00pm. In any case a key may be obtained from the Rectory (if you can find someone in – sorry. I’m often there between 1 and 2pm). Please feel free to email an enquiry to avoid disappointment. CURRENTLY The church will only be open on Wednesday afternoons from 2-4pm
Parking is available on ‘Madron Green’, a tarmaced area west of the churchyard and main (north) entrance. Hard by the lychgate, there a gate that gives level and step-free access for wheelchairs, buggies etc via the south porch. As this is only open for services, a gravel path takes visitors around to the north door, which is our main entrance, and only entrance during the week, Using this path is better than walking along a busy minor road.
We have a hall in Heamoor, attached to St Thomas Church, which is available for regular bookings at only £10 per session. Ring or email Caroline ( 01736 369123 or email@example.com) to make an appointment to look at what’s on offer by way of toilets and kitchen facilities.
Social events can be seen on the Events page
Building and other Projects March 2020
We have had no further progress on getting the large east window repaired – it seems that buildings in a worse condition have been getting the grants, which is only fair.
We are currently saving and applying for grants to convert our bio- loo into a conventional toilet. It was good for our green credentials , but with heavy use at social functions and weddings, it was awful to clear up the overflow !
3D Tour of Madron Parish Church
A limited restart of services (Following risk assessment)
- I fully expect that a high proportion of people will not feel happy or ready to return to church yet. Please don’t feel under any pressure to return before when it is right for you. If you come against medical advice, that is at your own risk. I shall continue for several weeks at least to prepare videos and pieces for the phone line, to cater for those still staying safely at home. The church services will complement not replicate what is on paper and video.
So how will it work ? Until further notice and a full restart:
- Initially just 9.30am at Heamoor, 11.0am at Madron and 11am Gulval and 6pm (BCP) at Madron from the 12th Midweeks from August 16th and 8ams too.
- A staff of Tim, Howard, Helen and Jo (and later, Peter) will lead these services.
- There might be no bell ringers (only a socially distanced number ringing for 15mins) or choir or organist – though if present and willing an organist could play hymn tunes or other music as long as we only say hymn words
- There will be no formal sidesmens rota, but a single volunteer would be good; otherwise Helen and I will open up and close up. It is not expected that church officers will be present any more than anyone else.
- Services will take place in zones – 11am in the main body of the church ONLY and 6pm in the choir stalls. (8ams in side chapel from August 16th at Madron and choir stalls at Gulval)
- Sit at 2metres from the next worshipper, unless you live together
- Both doors will be open for ventilation – unless it is really cold or wet – no touching of door handles
- You are encouraged to bring your own Bibles and prayer books. The only materials available will be hymn words, newsletters and service sheets from Tim (not necessarily the same as those sent by email or on the videos) – they are to be taken away and can be picked up carefully on entry
- Hand sanitiser will be on the table at the back. Do not touch anything unnecessarily
- Communion by wafer only. A one way system to receive will be in place. No queues
- Lesson readers can volunteer when they get there – no rota yet and again, no pressure.
- No collection passed around , a plate at the back to be brought up during the service.
- No passing the peace or other physical contact between those present
- The toilets will not be available ( CofE guidelines are to keep toilets open, but the cleaning and other instructions are so involved, it’s best to leave it for now).
- For track and trace purposes attenders names (& contact details) will be recorded