Service Times: Sundays at 9:30am Family Service (1st Sunday of the month), Holy Communion (2nd, 3rd and 4th Sundays of the month) , Short Family Service at 10am – week 3 . Thursdays at 10am (Holy Communion (trad)
ATTENTION – Our churches are now restarting regular public worship from Sunday July 5th at 9.30am. Social distancing will apply. A guide to how our services will operate until further notice, following a risk assessment, cane be found at the bottom of this page.The Thursday 10am Holy Communion will resume on August 20th. Social events are being curtailed for the time being (see Events page). If you email me, I can supply you with a short sermon and news sheet each week while we are closed.
** Every Sunday a service is being produced on video. You can find this on YouTube or by going to the Media drop down menu on this site, under videos
** You can also dial 279019 (local code) for Sunday’s service, sermon, prayers and a hymn – any time. The service material is changed for each Sunday.
** Our church newsletter for the three churches has extra material in it at the moment, such as Bible readings and short sermon
We also have a new FACEBOOK page for Madron, Heamoor and Gulval churches
Family Service at 10am on the third Sunday of the month (only half an hour) , plus particularly child-friendly occasions to be found on the relevant web page (see Services)
Opening Times: St Thomas is sadly only open during service times.
Parking. Unfortunately we have no car park and therefore parking is along adjacent roads. Parking along Rock Terrace or on the south side of the church at least affords level access. We have one small step to gain access on foot to the church on both west and south sides.
Building and other Projects: 2020 update At St Thomas’ we have done a great deal of work on the church in recent years. The stonework on the west window has recently been repaired ad now we are turning our attention to repainting external woodwork (forest green) and sections of the inside, where there had been a damp problem and it now just needs a repaint. A new heating system for the kitchen in still in preparation, as is a tidying of our garden areas, which has now begun.
St Thomas charges £10 per session only (morning, afternoon or evening) for use of its adjoining hall. This includes heating. Sadly we do not do one-off bookings/parties etc. as we have no caretaker, but regular bookings will be most welcome
At present we have space for regular hire on Mondays, Wednesday morning and afternoon, Tuesday evening, Thursday evening, Friday morning and afternoon
For info or guided tour of facilities, contact Caroline Somers on 369123 or firstname.lastname@example.org or enquire via the email address given on the home page. When enquiring, make it clear you are asking about St Thomas. (I get enquiries about Gulval and Madron, which are not my province)
Social events have been uploaded for 2020
A limited restart of services (Following risk assessment)
- I fully expect that a high proportion of people will not feel happy or ready to return to church yet. Please don’t feel under any pressure to return before when it is right for you. If you come against medical advice, that is at your own risk. I shall continue for several weeks at least to prepare videos and pieces for the phone line, to cater for those still staying safely at home. The church services will complement not replicate what is on paper and video.
So how will it work ? Until further notice and a full restart:
- Initially just 9.30am at Heamoor, 11.0am at Madron and 11am Gulval and 6pm (BCP) at Madron from the 12th Midweeks from August 16th and 8ams too.
- A staff of Tim, Howard, Helen and Jo (and later, Peter) will lead these services.
- There might be no bell ringers (only a socially distanced number ringing for 15mins) or choir or organist – though if present and willing an organist could play hymn tunes or other music as long as we only say hymn words
- There will be no formal sidesmens rota, but a single volunteer would be good; otherwise Helen and I will open up and close up. It is not expected that church officers will be present any more than anyone else.
- Services will take place in zones – 11am in the main body of the church ONLY and 6pm in the choir stalls. (8ams in side chapel from August 16th at Madron and choir stalls at Gulval)
- Sit at 2metres from the next worshipper, unless you live together
- Both doors will be open for ventilation – unless it is really cold or wet – no touching of door handles
- You are encouraged to bring your own Bibles and prayer books. The only materials available will be hymn words, newsletters and service sheets from Tim (not necessarily the same as those sent by email or on the videos) – they are to be taken away and can be picked up carefully on entry
- Hand sanitiser will be on the table at the back. Do not touch anything unnecessarily
- Communion by wafer only. A one way system to receive will be in place. No queues
- Lesson readers can volunteer when they get there – no rota yet and again, no pressure.
- No collection passed around , a plate at the back to be brought up during the service.
- No passing the peace or other physical contact between those present
- The toilets will not be available ( CofE guidelines are to keep toilets open, but the cleaning and other instructions are so involved, it’s best to leave it for now).
- For track and trace purposes attenders names (& contact details) will be recorded